29 Şubat 2020 Cumartesi

Bekir Sami Gunsav



From the memoirs of Bekir Sami Bey
After the Turkish Independence War, Bekir Sami Bey wrote his memoirs. This summary is the opening of his second book of the memoirs:



When Armistice of Moudros was signed on 30 October 1918  I was at Istanbul working for Import Export Commission. I didn’t work there, for long.
During the days of the Occupation of Izmir, I was at my home in Uskudar. We were getting together with my friends from the army. Usually, we meet at lunchtime either Esat Fuat’s home or Rauf Bey’s home.
Rauf Orbay

We were thinking about how to save the country. Rauf and I thought that the only way was taking our weapons and fight.
Rauf came to my house and said that we should go to the Aegean region and fight against the Greeks and I accepted.
Rauf arranged a meeting with the War Minister. I was going to go to Anatolia first and he would come later.
I went to Eminonu for some business and while I was crossing the Galata bridge I saw Selahattin, he was my former aide de camp. He was a hard-working honest and brave soldier. I wanted to ask him to be my aide to camp for this mission as well. I talked about the difficulty of the situation and the danger that we would be facing if we go fight against the Greeks. As he wasn’t married yet, I thought he might accept. He accepted without any hesitation. He wanted to come with me.
Together we went to see Chief of Staff Jevad Pasha and completed the formalities. I wanted to leave Istanbul for Anatolia right away.


I went to see Defence Minister Sevket Turgut. He said, “ you know the situation of our country and our army, as well as the invasion of Izmir. We, are not giving any orders to you right now. What do you plan to do in Anatolia?”
“I will do whatever is necessary for my country, don’t worry Pasha.”
Pasha was emotional, he cried, quietly he opened the drawer and gave me 1000 Liras. He reached  my arm and said;
“I wish you, success son. Do whatever is necessary for the interest of our country. Our government may not protect you. Don’t despair don’t get discouraged. The country won’t forget the soldiers who served even if they die. Recruit the soldiers and officers but don’t fight against the Greeks unless you have to.
I was emotional as well and Selahaddin and left the Ministery in a sad mood.
The next day we took the Gulnihal ferry to Bandirma. While returning to my home that evening walking from Uskudar to Pasalimani,  I saw people coming from demonstrations against the invasion of Izmir. Everyone was in a bad mood. Our people didn’t want to see enemy boots in our country but the mighty empire was no more. It was collapsed. No cannons, no rifles no money. Only strong faith. With that faith, I left my wife and two children in Istanbul at the age of 40 and go to Anatolia.
On the morning of 21 May 1919, I said goodbye to my family and arrived at Galata port. I talked to the passengers who were on the ship and asked them to organize resistance.




Bandirma
When we reached Bandirma in the afternoon I saw the Greek houses with Greek flags. The majority of the population were Greek and Armenians in that town and they were waiting for the arrival of the Greek Army. Turks were in fear. We went to a hotel by the port. I walked around the town and met with Yusuf Izzet Pasha who was returning after inspecting the troops. Some people including the officers who had to flee from Izmir came to see me.
I sent my first telegram to Istanbul.
Translation Elif Mat Erkmen





The Armistice of Mudros (TurkishMondros Mütarekesi), concluded on 30 October 1918, ended the hostilities, at noon the next day, in the Middle Eastern theatre between the Ottoman Empire and the Allies of World War I. It was signed by the Ottoman Minister of Marine Affairs Rauf Bey and the British Admiral Somerset Arthur Gough-Calthorpe, on board HMS Agamemnon in Moudros harbor on the Greek island of Lemnos.
Wikipedia.








Bekir Sami Günsav (1879; Bandırma – 1934; Istanbul) was a Turkish career officer, who served in the Ottoman Army and the Turkish Army.
He was born in the village of Haydar in the district of Bandırma to father Hasan Bey and mother Aishe. Hasan Bey was a member of the Circassian family who moved from Caucasus to Anatolia. Their family name was Zarukhue.[2]
He fought the first stage of the Turkish War of Independence as the commander of the 56th Division.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder